The use of apple cider vinegar was first documented by Hippocrates around 400 BC. It was used as an anti-biotic and to improve all over general health.
It has been gaining popularity as we search for answers in nature. Leading a holistic lifestyle is becoming mainstream.
Apple cider vinegar is made from two types of fermentation. Sugar from apples (preferably organic) are fermented to the alcohol of hard cider. The alcohol of the hard cider is then fermented to acetic acid. On the bottom of the vinegar you will notice a cloudy substance. This is the “mother”. Ninety different substances are found here. There is 11 mg potassium, 1 mg of calcium and 1 gram of fibre in one tablespoon.
Saying Apple cider vinegar is a mutli- purpose vinegar is an understatement!! It is used an all purpose natural anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial!
Here’s some of its uses:
- Eliminates food odor
- Face wash for acne
- Skin antiseptic or toner
- Cures warts
- Dandruff cure
- Soothes sunburn
- Sore throat soother
- Lessens muscle pain
- Helps with gas, bloating and heartburn
- Washes pesticides off produce
- In weigh loss pills
- Cooking ingredient
Drinking 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in hot water before meals may help you with gas, bloating and heartburn. It tastes awesome replacing other vinegars while cooking. According to studies in 2004/2007 it has shown promise as a weight loss aid. It has also shown to improve insulin levels.
At the end of the day, it just tastes great and is a great addition to any household.
Filsingers is Canadian and based out of Ayton, Ontario. They have been making apple cider vinegar since 1953. Their unpasteurized organic vinegar contains 5% acetic acid.
Making apple cider vinegar
- Start with fresh pressed Apple juice. (20lbs or 9kg yields about 1 gallon or 4 liters of juice)
Put juice in an open container filling only 3/4 full.
- Cover with muslin cloth around the rim..leave in dark area.
- Stir each day vigorously and keep warm 65-86 degrees Fahrenheit or 18-30 degrees Celsius. “Vinegar mother” will form.
- Leave it for 8 weeks. Taste and leave longer for stronger vinegar taste. Siphon and cap into sterilized bottles
*taken from “The Miracle of Apple Cider Vinegar“
By Dr. Penny Stanway